RichardS

Default Shelf sockets - special tool for insertion?

I have a lot of shelf sockets to put into some wardrobes that I'm building.

Now, I've used these before, but on paint-grade cupboards, and this time my
first action will be to create a jig to enable me to drill perpendicular
holes at consistent intervals.

However, when it comes to inserting the sockets I've had variable results
just hammering them in. I seem to remember reading that they should be
knocked home with a "special tool" - kind of a stepped punch, I assume.
However, I can't find such a beastie in the Axminster catalogue.

Does anyone know what this tool is called, and where to get one (in UK)?

Also, there are a number of inserts to hold the shelves up - looped "eyes",
spade shaped pins, flat pins, and flat pins that have an offset support.
Whats the difference - anyone with any opinions on the best to use?

Alternatively, if there are better things to use then I'm open to
suggestions.

many thanks
Richard

--