BigWallop

Default Rising damp on party wall in semi-det Victorian house

"Richard" wrote in message
Me again,
Thinking of buying a Victorian semi - haven't seen the struct survey yet

but
says there is indications of rising damp in the party wall.
Presumably this requires a new DPC - easy enough in MY side, but what

about
the neighbour's? If a new dpc is laid on only one side will it be as
effective?
How do you determine which side is causing the problem, and again what if
it's the neighbour's side?
Thanks in advance - again!

If a wall needs damproofing, then it's the whole wall and can't be divided
in to my side your side in this case. if it's damp on your side, then I'm
sure it will be damp on theirs to.

If it is a cavity wall, then it may need the roof doing rather than the
floor area. If rain is getting in at the top, then it may be manifesting
itself as damp at the bottom of the wall.

To be sure, you really need to call in the guys who know what and where look
for the causes.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com