Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve R.[_3_] Steve R.[_3_] is offline

Default Cutting straight with a die

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
news
I have spent a very long and unproductive day trying to cut a 5/16-24
thread on a cut-off piece of 5/16 bolt.

Big Snip

The best method that I have used is to hold the die in a lathe. Make or buy
a die holder for the cross slide. Set up the lathe for screw cutting, at the
same pitch as the die. The die can be set square by running it up to a face
plate, and of course it must be at centre height. Mount the workpiece in the
chuck. Engage the leadscrew, and crank the lathe by hand. Very often, you
can just grasp the chuck to do this. with a good hefty chuck, the key can be
used as a handle. Use plenty of cutting oil, and don't forget to back off
every quarter turn to clear the swarf. The steel in most bolts is intended
for rolled threads, and may not be good for threading with a die or
screwcutting. Better to find some better stuff to practice on.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers