Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling Tiles

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Ive tried the lot.All work but the one I like the best is a little
diamond core drill. Takes its time and likes to be well lubricated, but
there is almost no pressure on the tile.

Slow isn't the word if the tiles are hard.

I did buy it for quartzite mosaics: i used to ue standard masonry for
crap tiles and did once borrow a pointy thing for a harder tile.

But I have cracked cheap tiles with a masonry bit and a tad too much
pressure. Which you need to get past thye glaze. Once into the substrate
almost anything works pretty well.

An ordinary HSS drill is fine for breaking the glaze. But will blunt
rapidly when it hits the ceramic.

The Bosch multi purpose mentioned before are pretty well the same as HSS
for getting through glass - but don't blunt on the ceramic. They struggle
with porcelain, though.

But I love my little diamond core drill!

--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.