Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default finishing basement floor question

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:27:50 -0400, "mr jones"
wrote:

poured concrete basement (walls & floor).

saw other thread here w/gentleman asking questions
about subfloors. out of courtesy, did not want to
"hijack" the thread.

question, instead of laying down a subfloor of wood,
tile, carpet, etc.

has anyone ever considered using a "raised" floor
system ? of the sort that consists of square tiles,
supported at each corner by a series of legs that
stand on the concrete below the tiles.

i tried to google this, and have found no residential
applications of that type of raised flooring systems.

it would seem to be a great idea (airflow underneath
to dissipate any moisture concerns, as well as it's
intended commercial use of having a space to lay all
kinds of cabling underneath).

not sure what the cost would be, imagine it could
get expensive. but, is the idea something that's
appropriate for a home basement ? (presuming the ceiling
height is present to accomodate the fundamental raised
design of it).

it would seem to me, it's a suspended ceiling in reverse.

Oh, the days of computer room raised floors! The ones that I know of
need about 6 inches of space for the legs. I have a pallet load of the
things (2x2 steel squares with tile on them) and legs, they are heavy,
expensive, but work. In my case they are now used for things like
putting staging and such on the ground so the legs don't sink in! (I'm
going to do a 20' workbench with them too, it will be strong, and as
well, because they are steel won't soak up oil and dirt.)

You could simulate this type of floor with convential construction
techniques easily, and for much less.