Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default finishing basement floor question

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:27:50 -0400, "mr jones"
wrote:

poured concrete basement (walls & floor).

saw other thread here w/gentleman asking questions
about subfloors. out of courtesy, did not want to
"hijack" the thread.

question, instead of laying down a subfloor of wood,
tile, carpet, etc.

has anyone ever considered using a "raised" floor
system ? of the sort that consists of square tiles,
supported at each corner by a series of legs that
stand on the concrete below the tiles.

i tried to google this, and have found no residential
applications of that type of raised flooring systems.

it would seem to be a great idea (airflow underneath
to dissipate any moisture concerns, as well as it's
intended commercial use of having a space to lay all
kinds of cabling underneath).

not sure what the cost would be, imagine it could
get expensive. but, is the idea something that's
appropriate for a home basement ? (presuming the ceiling
height is present to accomodate the fundamental raised
design of it).

it would seem to me, it's a suspended ceiling in reverse.

I worked as a systems operator on a floor like that and its not
something I think I'd want in my home. I have a concrete basement
floor and building a bath/laundry room there. It just happens that
vinyl flooring is relatively inexpensive, easy to install and holds up
to water better. If water ever seeps under a wooden floor--Watch Out!