Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling Tiles

Samantha Booth wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...

Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

I need to drill into my new ceramic wall tiles in my bathroom to
install a shelf etc. Would you recomend using specific tile drill
bits, which are the spear point type or can I get away with using
standard masonry drill bit?

Use one of these Bosch Multi Material bits
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26900/...-Bit-6-x-100mm

They have a much sharper point than a standard masonry bit. With the
drill off, push the bit onto the mark where the hole will be - push
hard & you will hear a 'creak' noise as the point penetrates the
surface. No need for tape, the bit won't now wander.

Drill with hammer off until you go through the tile, then switch the
hammer on if necessary.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I have just bought one of these on you recommendation MHM. I also got
the two sets of rawplugs to try them both. I too am putting up a pull
out mirror tomorrow and drilling through the tiles. Is it best to try
to go through the grout?

Personally I don't think so. The grout line is rarely in the right place
for top & bottom fixings, plus IME its easier to chip the edge of a tile
than when drilling a hole in the main part

Will use the bosch multi purpose drill bit
you recommended to me on the plasterboard screw thread.

Ideal. Let us know how you get on.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk