Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling Tiles

Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

I need to drill into my new ceramic wall tiles in my bathroom to
install a shelf etc. Would you recomend using specific tile drill
bits, which are the spear point type or can I get away with using
standard masonry drill bit?

Thanks

Tom

Ive tried the lot.All work but the one I like the best is a little
diamond core drill. Takes its time and likes to be well lubricated, but
there is almost no pressure on the tile.

I did buy it for quartzite mosaics: i used to ue standard masonry for
crap tiles and did once borrow a pointy thing for a harder tile.

But I have cracked cheap tiles with a masonry bit and a tad too much
pressure. Which you need to get past thye glaze. Once into the substrate
almost anything works pretty well.

But I love my little diamond core drill!