Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling Tiles

Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

I need to drill into my new ceramic wall tiles in my bathroom to
install a shelf etc. Would you recomend using specific tile drill
bits, which are the spear point type or can I get away with using
standard masonry drill bit?

Use one of these Bosch Multi Material bits
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26900/...-Bit-6-x-100mm

They have a much sharper point than a standard masonry bit. With the drill
off, push the bit onto the mark where the hole will be - push hard & you
will hear a 'creak' noise as the point penetrates the surface. No need for
tape, the bit won't now wander.

Drill with hammer off until you go through the tile, then switch the hammer
on if necessary.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk