Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Installing bath exhaust fan

"Joe" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 9:42 am, wrote:

snip

One possible solution would be to cut a 4" hole in my soffit overhand
(I have a 5' eave overhang all the way around the house with T-111
plywood soffit), so I cut 4" holes in the T-111, then terminate the
exhaust pipe with a 90" elbow (somehow) facing down and exit via the
soffit. No air will go back into the attic but the moist air will be
forced downward. I assume I need some lip/cover to prevent backflow
or critters from getting into it.

But since my 4" lines are all currently directing to a soffit vent, if
I cut a 4" hole, I need to cut it along the current path and then cut
it short to install the elbow. I wonder if I realistically can cut
and install a 4" sheet metal pipe and put in a 4" elbow from outside a
4" hole...seems it would be tricky. I don't think there would be a
problem were it sheetrock but it's T-111 ply.

This seems to be the only possible solution I can think of now that
does not involve a very expensive and intrusive remedy. Any other
thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Your plan seems doable (excuse buzzword). Using a 4 1/4" hole saw on
the soffit would leave wiggle room enough for a length of pipe with
attached elbow to be threaded into the attic space. Pop rivets
attaching the elbow would be tidier and make installation easier. HTH

Joe

Yes it definitely help. I think still will be tricky on be on a ladder on
the outside (I already crawled from the attic on the inside and no luck
reaching that tight space) cut a hole and be able to cut the pipe back and
put in an elbow the same size as the hole and doing all that with one hand
inside the hole.

I will try to free the pipe from any straps and fasteners to the existing
joists...it will be tricky, and probably the solution to each of the four
bath will be different.

Thanks,

MC