Scott Brownell

Default Best way to drill through cast iron???

tnfkajs wrote:

I'm stumped on a good way to add an outfeed table to my saw. Yet another
"benefit" of the Jet Supersaw. Before I dimisss this idea entirely, I
thought I'd ask the "Pro's".

If I wanted to attach some brackets to the table saw cast iron top, I think
I'd be drilling some biggun holes into some purdy thick iron. Would I be an
idiot to try this? Would it take forever? Would I go through 35 bits? Would
I need some liquid coolant on the bore? Should I buy eight $15 Black and
Decker cheapo drills and just burn them up?

Or - should I dimiss this approach and look for another way to attach the
outfeed table?

Easy to drill, just do it in stages beginning with a 1/8" drill bit then
3/16", etc. until you reach the size you want for your bolts. A little
oil won't hurt but you don't need to slop it on this way.

Scott
up later, the damage remains.