Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling Tiles

In article
,
Thomarse wrote:
I need to drill into my new ceramic wall tiles in my bathroom to
install a shelf etc. Would you recomend using specific tile drill
bits, which are the spear point type or can I get away with using
standard masonry drill bit?

It really depends what they are made of. Some these days are porcelain and
you need a pukka diamond drill for those. Plus a deal of patience.
I must admit to not being impressed with those tile drills. The universal
Bosch ones work better and cost no more. But if the tiles are not too hard
an ordinary new and sharp masonry bit works fine with no hammer action.
Dipping the tip in water helps keep it cool and sharp.

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.