Posted to sci.electronics.repair
NoSp NoSp is offline

Default Replacing LCD CCFL backlight

JW wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:43:17 +0200 NoSp wrote in Message
id: :

In case someone here is reading: it's a 15.2" screen (1440x960 pixels).
The particular model in my computer is a Samsung LTN152W6-L01,

Using google I found a number of hits for companies selling this panel.
The cheapest in the hits I looked at, is this one:
http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/O...N152W6L01.aspx

Thanks.
I also found out that Moniserv/LCDparts does LCD repairs
(http://www.moniserv.com/doc/pricelist.html) which might be worth
looking into, once I figure out where the problem lies.

It seems like some sort of contact problem as wiggling the display
around changes it from showing just a bunch of vertical lines and the
actual computer desktop (although quite distorted).
Apart from the LCD display itself it could be the connector/cable that
goes from the computer to the LCD panel.

So what I've done now is very carefully remove the LCD panel itself (the
glass only), connected the cable from the computer and having a light
from behind so I can see what's going on.
So far I only get the vertical lines, and there's absolutely no changing
in that no matter what I do.
(the reason I took the LCD panel out of its frame/assembly is because I
wanted to access the areas where the ribbon cables enter the LCD panel,
so as to carefully wiggle them to see if it made any difference -it
doesn't!). That's probably good news because it probably means that the
ribbon cables aren't damaged, but why is there no desktop display no
matter what I do? At least, when I had the LCD assembled I could wiggle
it until I saw the desktop on the screen.

This brings me to my next question...
There are 3 thin, flexible PCB type things sticking out on the left hand
side of the display. Here's a photo I've taken of the topmost one (there
are two more like it):
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1831/lcdedgeug6.jpg

What's the purpose of these? Are they some sort of ground connections?
I'm asking because I find it strange that the display doesn't change now
that I don't have it in its frame along with the filters/reflector etc.
as it did when I had those parts available, and everything was assembled.