Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas G. Marshall Thomas G. Marshall is offline

Default Would like to make a wooden erector set

Owen Lawrence said something like:
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
I have not done this myself, but I would probably start with
something like this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2413306

and modify different pieces of wood to interact with it. When you
look at the pieces, they are about $1 a piece. I am sure you could
find something similar for less.

That little pile of scrap sells for $65!

You certainly will have no problem beating that price.

A surprising amount of thought goes into those products.

I once had gifted to us one of those sets of cardboard blocks. The kind
that you fold together into these surprising brick-like blocks of surprising
strength. Some of them as large as half a shoe-box, or thereabouts.

Problem is, they committed the mortal sin of block making. A true caning
offense: they did not make every dimension a multiple of the smallest
dimension of any of the blocks.

Sooooooo....it was nearly impossible for my then-2 year old to create a
structure that would "line up" or be steady. I dug out the box they came in
to see the sample picture and the picture was merely a horrible wall---no
building, no castle, no anything. Even the marketing people couldn't build
something identifiable.

All the thing did was teach my son futility. I threw most of the blocks out
and bought a new cardboard set right away that followed the dimension rule.