Posted to rec.woodworking
randyswoodshoop randyswoodshoop is offline

Default Would like to make a wooden erector set

On Jun 5, 10:21*am, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:
My 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 y.o.'s love to assemble things, and I was considering
making a wooden erector set of sorts. *They would help me build the parts as
well.

But I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried something like this.

I'm envisioning something like 8" x 3/8" x 3/4" "boards" with holes in the
end for simple nut+bolts.

The 1 1/2 y.o. of course would be supervised, since choking hazards are
basically anything that can fit.

There are plastic ones on sale of course but I was wondering about wood
because my older son likes to create things and not have them disassembled
later. *Which causes trouble with construction toys. *So if he creates
something and wants to keep it, I'd like to just add materials to it.

Anyone actually attempt this?

Dont know of a set like that.. I did build a build a boat toy for my
son when he was smaller.

It started with a 3/4" pieces of wood about 4" wide and 8" long shaped
like a boat.
I drilled an assorment of holes into this. In which you could place
different size dowels.
I then cut out pieces that could be placed on the dowels to create
different shape ships each time.
He spent hours playing with it, I even built a case for it, let me
know if interested and I will send a pic.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com