Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default Funky small eye bolt threads

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 12:59:45 -0700 (PDT), Tim Shoppa wrote:

When I look at small eye bolt threads (not wood screw, machine screw)
I see thread sizes like 1/8"-32 and 3/32"-32 and 3/16"-24 in the
catalogs.

(e.g. McMaster-Carr page 1465.)

Is it possible that these are really 6-32, 8-32, and 10-24 threads,
just called something weird out of the deep eyebolt tradition? Or are
there truly funky threads with matching funky nuts only used on
eyebolts?

I remember stove bolts coming in similar small fractional funky sizes
too but don't see them much anymore.

A 10-24 nut fits the 3/16-24s from Home Depot just fine. Can't say for
sure about the other two sizes.

We use them to hold mold-in inserts at my work, so I keep a small supply
as well as a box of extra nuts. Each "insert holder" needs two nuts and
I can tell no difference between the nut that comes with the eyebolt or
the ones from the box.
--
William