Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Calling Ryobi brushcutter/strimmer owners

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 19:00:48 +0100, Piers Finlayson wrote:

It's an absolute pig to start. I've managed to get it going twice,
but the rest of the time it just won't catch.

Two strokes can be a right pig to start and you have to get to know your
particular engine... With mine, a Ryobi of nearly 10 years old I find the
following a resonably reliable way fo starting it from cold.

1) Make sure it has fuel, at least half a tank.
2) Set the choke to full.
3) Set the run/stop switch to run.
4) Hold the throttle fully open.
5) Pull hard and fast.
6) Repeat pulls, if it doesn't so *any* sign of life after about 3 or 4
pulls give it a few more primes.
7) The moment it makes *any* attempt to fire set the choke to 1/2.
8) Keep pulling...
9) Mine will normally run (badly) on about the third pull after setting
the choke to 1/2.
10) Keep the throttle fully open until it's settled down.
11) Slowly release the throttle it may idle or it may die.
12) Set the choke to none and restart.

Once it's hot starting isn't a problem.

--
Cheers