Posted to alt.home.repair

Default deficiency list and final payment question

"Doobielicious" wrote in message
I am at the end of a reno and my contractor is looking to get paid. I have
a deficiency list and I also need to have a final inspection performed.

Is it the norm to wait to have my final building inspection as well as all
things on my deficiency list taken care of before cutting a check for
final
payment?

What does your contract state?

"Upon completion" means just that, but if there are deficiencies, the job is
not complete. If there are deficiencies, it would be common to hold back
some portion of the final payment. If you think it would take $1000 to do
the fixes, it would seem fair to hold back that much or even double that as
an incentive, but not to hold back $100,000.