Posted to sci.electronics.repair
NoSp NoSp is offline

Default Replacing LCD CCFL backlight

bz wrote:
NoSp wrote in :

I'm the original poster and have a problem after having replaced the old
CCFL with a new one :-(
The display lights up like it should, but displays vertical lines (from
the top of the display down towards the keyboard.

It is likely that some of the connections along the top [or bottom] of the
LCD have been disrupted.

Likely you need a complete new screen.

Bad news :-(
And this after taking the utmost care in handling the LCD. It's apparent
that Samsung don't want people replacing their CCFLs, but buy a
completely new screen instead.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but I haven't attached
the aluminum tape as I first wanted to check if everything looks OK
(dust etc.) before re-assembling it properly. Would interference
(because of the lacking shielding) cause these problems?

Possible but not likely. You will know when you put on the tape.
Let us know if that fixes it.

I've tried that now, but it didn't help.
I have however made some progress as wiggling the screen around gives a
very distorted, but correct desktop picture.
It flickers, and is "stretched" in the vertical direction -sort of like
a low resolution 80s computer using a TV.

So it does seem like a contact problem, but the question is where.
There's no positive sign that it is the ribbon connectors on the LCD as
I've carefully poked them to see, but then again that's from the top of
the screen (where the circuit board is placed), and the connections to
the LCD panel are further down.
Perhaps if I carefully removed the "frame" with all the layers
(reflector etc.) leaving me only with the LCD panel itself, I could
connect it to the computer internal display cable and see if it makes a
difference.
I would be able to see something on the screen with a light shining
through, even though the layers of reflectors etc. and the backlight
would be missing, wouldn't I?

Regarding the connections to the LCD panel itself. They seem to be
"sandwiched" in between glass, and look quite firm to me. I assume
they're fastened with epoxy or something around where they go inside the
LCD panel as opposed to just being loose?

Another thing: there are 3 thin "flexible PCBs" so to speak along the
left hand side of the LCD panel (viewing the LCD from the display side).
They don't see to contain any components, and extend further beyond the
width of the metal frame which surrounds the display. Are these
grounding planes or something?

The computer is a Apple Mac Powerbook G4.
Any ideas anyone?

Look for a junker with a good screen.

Yeah, I've already put out ads.
In case someone here is reading: it's a 15.2" screen (1440x960 pixels).
The particular model in my computer is a Samsung LTN152W6-L01, but for
all I know computer manufacturers like Apple might be using different
brands/models within the same resolution.