Grunff

Default Bowing house wall - tie rods?

Dave Baker wrote:

Ummm, run, run very fast. Run now.

Seriously, it must have foundations or it wouldn't stil be up.

Ok, it has some very shallow stone foundations. No deeper than a
foot.

I remember Fred Dibnah doing this to his house in his tv program. I think
you'll find the rods and plates are pretty much of a std size unless it's a
castle you're trying to shore up. The plates are about 1 foot in diameter (or
they can be crosses) and the rods are about an inch. Two in 8m sounds plenty. A
1 inch mild steel bar will withstand over 20 tons and there'll be nothing like
that sort of force pulling at your walls or they'd be down by now.

Sounds reasonable.

I read through the thread before posting and the bit about the front porch is
worrying. If the walls are bowing but not sinking and the porch is still
attached to the walls then the porch must be sinking or something else would
have had to crack. I think the porch could well be your problem.

I know - it's puzzled me too. I concluded that the bowing wall
must be pushing the porch out with it. I think if the porch was
going to sink it would just detatch from the house. I could be
wrong.

--
Grunff