Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default A case for Aluminum Welding?

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 21:59:08 -0400, Gerald Miller
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 15:58:18 -0500, Ignoramus16961

On 2008-06-04, Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 08:33:29 -0500, Ignoramus16961
wrote:

A garage sale mistake he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/aluminum-wrench.jpg

This is a 24" aluminum pipe wrench.

If you look closely, you will see that this wrench has a crack on the
left side that I did not notice.

This seems to be a good case for trying to do aluminum welding for
some good reason.

So my question is, is welding of this wrench, a bad idea for any
reason? Any idea what kind of aluminum these wrenches are made of?

****, groove it out, weld it up, hang a 6' snipe on it and do some
chin ups. Have your son wack the pipe with a hammer a couple times for
good measure. If it cracks again, try again. If it busts
completly..you are out a few bucks and some practice time welding
Alum.

As to the other poster bitching about "next user" time bomb waiting to
explode blah blah..it will be pretty ****ing obvious it was repaired
at some time in the past and if they choose to use it while changing
out a UFO refueling pipe fitting on top of a 4000 meter tall TV
antenna (with no safety gear) over a school for crippled
children..thats their problem, not yours.

Gunner

Since the biggest safety hazard is getting some scratches on knuckles
(my own, this one is for myself), I think that I could take a bit of
rick.

The second pipe wrench I acquired was free from an acquaintance. I
never did figure out how the original owner managed to break two
inches off the outer end of the "handle". I just ground it smooth and
drilled a new hole to hang it from a smaller nail.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Too small a cheater to go down the handle (hit the pipe with a hammer
and oval it out to make it fit)

I actually saw a Rigid 48" pipe wrench busted off that way during my
oil patch days.