Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
R.C. Payne R.C. Payne is offline

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

Adrian wrote:
"R.C. Payne" gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

An electric car will last and last, unlike an ICE vehicle.

Really...? Very, very few ICE vehicles are scrapped because of
mechanical problems with the engine or transmission.

If you look at buses, you will find that electric trolley buses have a
significantly longer service life than diesel buses. Same goes for
railway vehicles.

Is that due to replacement cost, though?

No. Trolleybus systems are more expensive than diesel bus systems
because of the cost of the infrastructure for power transmission. The
vehicles themselves are mechanically simpler, and have a longer economic
life.

I'll admit that I was a little loose in my terminology - by "vehicles", I
was meaning those of the size we were discussing here - cars and light
vans.

I was looking for an example of vehicles where a direct comparisson of
electric and diesel powered options can be made. The small end of bus
and the large end of van are not that different.

Are there any trolleybuses in the UK?

None in service in the UK, plenty in Europe.

Robin