Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Question on plumbing

rradliff wrote:

Several years ago, I bought and self-installed a home water softener.
The unit has two output hoses. One is for the discharge during the
cleaning cycle and the other is a gravity feed overflow hose incase
something goes wrong and the unit starts to fill with water.

Undoubtedly not in the best plumbing practice, I cut a couple of holes
in a nearby plumbing vent pipe and used that as a drain for both
hoses. I sealed the hoses where they entered the vent pipe.
Everything works great with absolutely no problem. I've never had an
overflow, so I can't speak for that particular hose.

Now, I'm getting ready to sell the house and I'm wondering if I'm
going to run into a problem with inspectors.

If so, how can I correct the situation?

There is a nearby laundry drain that drains into the same vent via a
"P" trap, but it is higher than the water softener, so the gravity
feed overflow hose wouldn't work there. If I tried to connect the
discharge hose to the laundry drain, it would require some type of
fitting so the laundry water wouldn't come out place where the
softener hose goes in.

I really hate plumbing. LOL

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks,

Ron

Hi,
Mine is instralled by a plumber in the basement years ago. OF drain goes
to drain hole on the floor, Rinse drain goes to washer drain stack.