Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default How many amps do I have coming in?

In article , David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 6/3/2008 6:33 AM dpb spake thus:

Aaron Fude wrote:

If my master breaker consists of two 100amp switches, does that mean I
have 200amps to play with.

200A at 120V, or 100A at 240V, or any combination totalling 24KVA. That's an
oversimplification, but it's close enough for purposes of this question, I
think.

Depends on how they're arranged and supplied. Assuming they're each fed
from the service feed, then there would be 200A combined load.

Such a configuration is normally referred to as 100A service, since it's
supplied at 240V.

How and why that would be in a given panel is a wonder as there should
be only a single-point disconnect afaik.

Huh? Far as I know, all main disconnects (at least in North America,
220-volt service divided 110-110*) require two switches, as there are
two legs. How would you have a "single-point disconnect?"

One handle connecting the two sides of that duplex breaker.