Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default adding relay to AC fan circut

On Jun 4, 3:55*pm, philsvintageradios
wrote:
I am trying to couple my air conditioner to a blower. I want the
blower to start when the fan in the AC does. It is a 3 speed motor ,
has 5 wires, neuteral and black ( across the AC supply *with an
electrolytic cap between them) *then yel,orange red , these three
wires go to solenoids on the PC board.

I bought a 110V relay, thinking I could connect it between neutral and
one of the three wires from the relay.
It does work, but it takes about 3 seconds before the relay clicks on.
I don't care about the 3 seconds but I am not really understanding how
these three wires affect the motor's speed.

Between the black and white, with the capacitor between I measure
about 170 Volts, I guessed that perhaps the cap is smoothing the sine
wave of the AC current , or somehow playing games with my digital
meter.

I get something close to 110 at all three wires from the solenoids
irreguardless of which fan speed is used. *well that isn't exactly
true , I did notice the voltage very slowly dropping at some of these
points, but after 5 mins was still *pretty close to 110. *perhaps the
windings are not completely separated electrically and I am reading
voltage which is present because it is fed back through the windings
being interconnected?

I guess my main concern is that the windings of the relay aren't
connected in such a way that it is loading up the little PC board, and
I would like to understand better how the motor is being controlled by
these relays.
can anyone with a better understanding of motor control enlighten
me ? *I have a scope I could connect to better understand ( by seeing
the waveform) if that would help, I assume the phase or lag of the
power is being changed by the circutry or something but I don't really
understand it.

Phil

Your posting is confusing! You don't say which motor you are talking
about when you give colors and voltages, youdon't say what the votlage
is on the AC motor, and are youtrying to connect it to the AC blower
motor in the furnace or to the AC compressor mnotor. Try starting
over and maybe someone wioll eb able to understand you better. Sorry,