Posted to sci.electronics.repair
NoSp NoSp is offline

Default Replacing LCD CCFL backlight

I'm the original poster and have a problem after having replaced the old
CCFL with a new one :-(
The display lights up like it should, but displays vertical lines (from
the top of the display down towards the keyboard.
I can't remember if it came in different colors or just brighter white
than the backlit background.
I connected the computer to a TV, and it displays fine there, so the
graphic circuitry and the computer itself must be OK.

I've been extremely careful with the LCD ribbon connectors, so I don't
think that's it, but of course I can't be 100% sure about that. I have
however tried carefully poking a plastic tool on top of the ribbon
cables (the end attached to its PCB), flexing the very slightly to see
if it made any difference, but there was no difference at all. This is
when the LCD is mounted in its frame (e.g. the Samsung LCD is assembled,
while the computer's rear display panel is absent, giving me access to
the rear of the LCD, exposing its PCB etc.).
I don't know how the ribbon cables are attached to the LCD itself as I
haven't flipped it around.

I've also checked to see if the data cables (from the computer to the
display are attached properly -they both a a wide ribbon cable and a
small white Molex or whatever connector (perhaps that one is for the
CCFL inverter, I don't know).
I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but I haven't attached
the aluminum tape as I first wanted to check if everything looks OK
(dust etc.) before re-assembling it properly. Would interference
(because of the lacking shielding) cause these problems?

The computer is a Apple Mac Powerbook G4.
Any ideas anyone?