Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slide rules

Mary Fisher wrote on 03/06/2008 :
The mention of logs reminded me that I still have the tables, I don't need to
use them any more (don't use a calculator either for the basic sums I can do
in my head) but I loved any excuse to use them when at school. They were
fascinating!

I first came across slide rules at college and also found them
absolutely fascinating - once you had accepted the idea of not needing
absolute precision.

I have never been much good at doing it in my head, I always need to
write the figures down to help me 'visualise' it. I suffer a poor short
term memory, unless I put in a massive effort to remember figures. I
must say I do occasionally ignoring a calculator and working things out
on paper just to refresh the way I was taught combined with the self
taught short cuts I devised.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)