Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hail and wind damage to roof and siding and insurance companies??

On Jun 3, 10:09*am, wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 02:31:47 -0500, "Steve"
wrote:

I have noticed that in the last three or so years that about 20 percent of
the houses in my subdivision in northwest suburban Chicago have gotten new
siding and roofs. The houses here are about 15 years old. Almost all have
been done by the same company that scours the neighboorhood after storms
looking for any type of damage.

Insurance companies are like bookies. They don't mind paying out claim
money as long as the premiums cover it and they get to tack on their
hefty profit. Just remember, the more claims they pay the more you
pay. Pretty soon you will be like Florida where we are paying $4000 a
year for insurance and have a 4-5% deductible.

In the OP's example, he has one piece of loose siding and a few
shingles barely lifted up, and none of it attributable to a specific
storm. I'd be very suprised if the insurance company would pay out
on that and even if they did, it would not be worth it, because they
aren't going to pay for re-doing the whole house siding and roof.

I'd be particularly cautious in any companies that offer to do all the
dealing with the insurance company. You could wind up with them
telling you it's covered, only to be presented with a big bill, a
mechanics lien, and insurance coverage that only pays a part of it.