Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Sort of OT, Laptop Recommendation

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 18:46:37 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

Looking for a laptop for controls programming (PLC's, Drives, module
configuration, etc.). I'm preferring one with a built in serial COM port as
I have heard some of the software could be difficult to make work with USB
to Serial adapters. I know these are available on some models of Dell and
some Toshiba laptops. Any recommendations for Dell Toshiba or other?

Thanks

Roger N

I use an elderly Compaq Amada.

Running Win98 SE, 200 MHZ with 128 megs ram and a big big big 4 gig
hard drive.

Has a nice DB 9 serial port and works just dandy down/up loading to
machine tools, PLCs and so forth.

It was $50 at the local computer surplus place

Actually..I have two, but for the first time in a couple years,
plugged in the other one..and I think something got toasted, as it was
likely the battery was ****.

Gunner