Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default How do you determine what the finish is?

marc rosen wrote:
Hey All,
I am repairing a door to a bathroom vanity for a friend. Sadly, the
cabinet maker passed away, but I must say that he did a beautiful job
- cherry rails and stiles, cherry ply for the panel, great finishing
job too! It is a clear finsih but I could not tell if it is lacquer
or polyurethane. The crack is in the hinge stile of the door (someone
walked into it the wrong way when it was open and stressed the stile)
and I can make it disappear when I dry clamp it, but the finish shows
evidence of the cracks.
Would I encounter any problems if I ;
a) use polyurethane over lacquer?

Can but adhesion won't be great even if the lacquer is roughed up. Result
of poor adhesion can be local separation if bumped/whacked.

b) use lacquer overpolurethane?

It will soften the poly which will then likely reticulate (wrinkle). I use
lacquer thinner to remove poly.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...