Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Mastuna Mastuna is offline

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

So that's 43% efficient.

Which is still twice as efficient as the best internal combustion
engines. And that's assuming all electricity is made from oil.

Why "compared to"? The normal wheel is still fitted, as is a normal
brake. It's purely extra weight.

I doubt Mitsubishi are simply using a normal wheel and sticking a
motor inside. I am sure they are redisigning the whole wheel assembly
from scratch to make space for the motor. They are probably looking
for ways to make the wheel lighter than in an ICE car, since it has
become more of a priority. The disk brake will be a different design,
since it will only be needed to assist regenerative braking during
emergency braking maneuvers. Finally, the driveshaft will be missing,
saving some unsprung weight.

Marketing... Most OEM alloys are at least the same weight as factory
steels - they have to be thick for reliability. On the XM I used to have,
I replaced the factory steels with OEM alloys. Same size rim. The alloy
was noticably heavier.

Ah, that would explain it. They do look prettier.

Then there's the Li-Ion laptop battery recalls (and subsequent supply
problems) of the other year...

Childhood diseases...