Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

Mastuna gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Even if the electricity used to charge a battery car were 100% derived
from oil power plants, it would still use less oil per km than an
equivalent ICE car. Modern combined-cycle thermal power plants are 60%
efficient. Electricity transmission is 95% efficient. Charging/
uncharging about 80% and the electric motor about 95%.

So that's 43% efficient.

which plays havoc with the unsprung weight, giving considerably worse
ride and handling, and requiring heavier duty suspension.

That's a good point. Do you know how much an in-wheel motor wheel on the
Mitsubishi Colt weighs compared to a normal wheel?

Why "compared to"? The normal wheel is still fitted, as is a normal
brake. It's purely extra weight.

Oh, and the Colt electric weighs 200kg more than the equivalent diesel.

I am not sure how much of a difference unsprung weight really makes. I
have driven the same car, an Audi A3, with alloy wheels and steel wheels
and I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever. Made me think that
perhaps alloy wheels are just a marketing scam. Or maybe I didn't drive
it fast enough ;-)

Marketing... Most OEM alloys are at least the same weight as factory
steels - they have to be thick for reliability. On the XM I used to have,
I replaced the factory steels with OEM alloys. Same size rim. The alloy
was noticably heavier.

Typical electric cars have 300-500 kg of batteries, even if they
don't weigh more than ICE cars overall.

If they have 300-500kg of batteries, before including the weight of the
motors and cabling, then they will inevitably weigh more than an
equivalent ICE cars, because an entire ICE drivetrain weighs less than
that.

They don't just replace the drivetrain. They replace most of the engine
assembly, the exhaust system, and the water cooling system.

Yes, dear. That's all part of the drivetrain. But anyway, the Colt EV,
with in-wheel motors, is 200kg heavier (1150kg) than the equivalent
diesel (960kg). The battery pack in it is 22 modules, each 325v 40Ah. You
can probably calculate the weight from that, since Mitsu seem reluctant
in the articles I've read.

Anyhow, I think that the main advantages of battery cars will be
economic, not environmental, once batteries are mass produced at high
volume and low price. If the current downward trend in battery prices
continues, they may well replace the ICE.

Then there's the Li-Ion laptop battery recalls (and subsequent supply
problems) of the other year...