Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Hail and wind damage to roof and siding and insurance companies ??

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

"Steve" wrote in message
I have noticed that in the last three or so years that about 20
percent of the houses in my subdivision in northwest suburban Chicago
have gotten new siding and roofs. The houses here are about 15 years
old. Almost all have been done by the same company that scours the
neighboorhood after storms looking for any type of damage.

My wife said they stopped by our house the other day and wanted to
know if we wanted our roof and siding replace because of hail and
wind damage and that it would cost us nothing more than our
deductible or something like that (my wife often does not get the
whole story or ask a lot of questions) and that they would do most
the talking with the insurance company. I said what damage. She
showed me a piece of loose siding by the side of the garage on the
top row. I said that has been like that for years and I intend to fix
it someday - really. Then she showed me about 10 shingles that were
elevated ever so slightly which I said that I can fix that in about
an hour with some roofing cement like I used to do on my first house
back in more lean times.

So my question is this legit in that these companies can get the
insurance companies to pay for almost all costs with only what I
would call very minor damage that a handy man would probably fix for
$100 ?? Wouldn't the insurance companies at least want to pro rate
the roof replacement based on the age of the roof?? Why in the world
would they replace all the siding with such little damage. Or maybe
there is more to it than that and the home owners are picking up a
percentage of the repairs?

I and several neighbors have had our roofs replaced twice.

Just curious. Totally replaced all the shingles? How bad was the damage?
I mean repair was not considered?

We live in
the middle of North Carolina.

Where? I'm in FAY.

One time was after a hurricane that
came way inland

and about 2 years due to hail. I have a $ 500
deductiable and that was what it cost both times.

Surprised they did not want to prorate age, especially the first time.