Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default New energy-saving lights at Home Depot

In article , Ajanta wrote:
RBM wrote:

: HD sells multi packs in a variety of color variations. You need to concern
: yourself with the "equivalent" light output when choosing, and get ones that
: are as close to what you are used to with incandescent lamps. you may want
: to get a sample of each color variation to see which one is most pleasant to
: you

Thanks. I know about matching the light output. But I was under the
impression that different "packaging colors" or "temperatures" are more
suitable for different application.

Here are my needs:

Front lobby (white walls)

If there are any incandescents, use 2700K. If the only/main light
source is CFLs, 3500K has a good chance of looking better as long as you
have enough light to amke things look "nice and bright".

Stairs (light walls, not much sunlight)
Hallway (light walls, no sunlight)

If you want the light to look nice and warm, use 2700K.

If you only want to maximize energy efficiency, use 5500K and use a
wattage one step less than you otherwise would. But be prepared for the
illumination to appear "stark" or "dreary" although adequate for seeing
everything.

Ceiling lights in living room, dining room, bedrooms, office (windows,
white walls, carpeted, medium-good sunlight)

If there will also be significant incandescent lighting present, use
2700K.

Otherwise, use 3500K provided you are producing enough light to make
things appear nice and bright.

Various desk and floor lamps

Desk lamps that achieve lighting in the work area to a very bright
extent at least that typical in offices, classrooms and brighter retail
display areas are likely to do well with 5500K - although that color can
clash with other lighting in the area.

3500K has little chance of going wrong with desk lamps.

Floor lamps should use either 3500K or 2700K. If the lighting level is
higher and there is not much incandescent or 2700K light in the area to
clash with, 3500K has a good chance of looking better. Otherwise use
2700K.

Bathrooms (white walls, no other light)

If the lighting level is nice and bright, my favorite is definitely
3500K. If the lighting level is more like that of a living room with one
or two floor lamps or a couple table lamps, use 2700K.

Basement, storage, laundry (white walls, grey floor, messy)

5500K if you don't mind a stark to drearyish appearance. Otherwise go
lower - 3500K if the lighting level is "nice and bright", 2700K if the
lighting level is only moderate or low.

Outside porch (dark paint)

Hard to make look nice and well-illuminated with any color. My
experiecne suggests 5500K as better for more stimulation of night vision
to see more. But if you want "warm glow" instead, get a "bug light" -
there are now CFL "bug lights" - just don't expect a lot of illumination
effectiveness over a wide area at night.

Garage (rough brick walls, very messy!)

If the lighting level will be on the low side, I expect 5500K to be
"least-worst" despite being stark and likely "dreary".
If you want any cheer, use enough wattage to get a half-decent amount of
light and either 3500 or 2700 K. I would go with 3500K or probably
slightly better still a mixture of 5500's and 2700's if the garage is
unlikely to look good in any light but you want something "warmer" than
5500K.

I may have forgotten something but that's most of it.

- Don Klipstein )