Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Range clock - Disconnect it!

dpb wrote
SMS wrote
dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The vast bulk of our electricity doesnt come from oil, it comes from coal,
and even if we stop doing that because of the CO2 produced by that
approach, we'll be using nukes instead, not 'various green sources'

Nuclear _is_ a "green" source...

Yes, if you're looking at it strictly in terms of CO2 emissions, that's true.

In virtually any manner you wish to compare it has less total impact than any alternative technology on a per MWe
basis.

That doesnt make it a green source.

It's rather ironic that the suburban life style of individual houses,
and low density population, actually lends itself well to distributed
generation. In my area, you can lease solar panels for $70 per month, including installation, and the monthly savings
off your electric bill will be more than that (or your meter will run backwards and you'll be selling power back to
the utility).

I'd be interest to know where that is and what/who is doing this...
doesn't sound economically viable to me based on what data I
know of on cost/kwh from solar generation...

It does happen in some places where legislation artificially skews
the economics. Most obviously in Germany where the price the
power companys are forced to pay for electricity does skew the
economics enough to make it economically viable for the consumer.

Thats just a hidden subsidy tho, industry pays a significantly
higher price for the electricity it uses to pay for that.