Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Flexible connectors for hot water heater

On May 31, 12:17*pm, ConnetiCat wrote:
Replacing the hot water heater...are flexible connectors any good, and
if so which are the best? *The EPA recommends a "heat trap" for in and
out going water; a flexible connector, basically, with a u-bend. *Is
this a good idea? *The local plumbing supply store guys scoff at
anything but sweat fitting and straight copper pipes. *Also, how would
I know there's any problems with water pressure? *About nine years
ago, I was talked into installing a pressure regulator, and I've had
nothing but trouble since. *I don't have overly high (city) water
pressure; never had trouble before with anything. *The house was built
in 1989. *Why shouldn't I just take it out, and that way I don't have
to install an expansion tank? *Any ideas, Joe?

Thermal expansion tanks are like insurance policies...useless until
the tipping point in the system is passed, then a $$ saver. You can't
prevent municipal bureaucrats from modifying water systems with
antibackflow valves or other EPA mandated gadgets which will affect
your water system. So a 2 gallon expansion tank at around $100 makes
sound economic sense. The alternative would be a capped and vented
standpipe tall enough to allow equilibrium with local water pressure.
Of course, the neighbors might not like a 100' tall (or more) pipe
poking up in the yard. Even disguised with vines or dressed up as a
cell tower it couldn't pass most building codes. Oh well...

Joe