Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
George George is offline

Default Range clock - Disconnect it!

Jeff wrote:
George wrote:
Pipedown wrote:
This guy is years ahead of his time. Someday we will all be scraping
the bottom of the savings barrel this fastidiously. Well at least I
hope not. By the time the oil really runs out, we should be getting
most of our electricity from various green sources.

"Bill" wrote in message
The clock on my range has never kept correct time, yet it keeps
running and using electricity. (Small amount, but many little things
like this can add up.)

So I pulled my electric range out from the wall, unplugged it, and
disconnected the clock. (Only do this if you know what you are doing.)

I already have many electronic things on power strips and turn off
the power strips when not in use. These things use electricity all
the time...

I think we will see continuous adjustments of lifestyle towards
efficiency. A lot of it is right in front of our noses such as driving
normal cars instead of big, piggy fluffed up trucks for personal
transportation. I good example of that is todays GM announcement that
they will be closing their gas guzzler "car" plants.

And possibly discontinuing the Hummer.

Can you imagine the pain this market driven force is causing GM? And
for that matter the workforce.

A buddy and I went to the New York car show earlier this year and GMs
entire focus was on big, piggy fluffed up trucks. We asked their
representative if he didn't feel silly offering such vehicles and he
told us that GM had made big investments into alternative energy and
$1/gallon fuel from recycled tires was coming soon...

But rational analysis should have told all the car manufacturers that
the ramp up in sales (propped along by all kinds of gimmicks) was
unsustainable. Now, there's a word for the future, "unsustainable".

Jeff