Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Installing bath exhaust fan

On Jun 3, 9:42*am, wrote:

snip

One possible solution would be to cut a 4" hole in my soffit overhand
(I have a 5' eave overhang all the way around the house with T-111
plywood soffit), so I cut 4" holes in the T-111, then terminate the
exhaust pipe with a 90" elbow (somehow) facing down and exit via the
soffit. *No air will go back into the attic but the moist air will be
forced downward. *I assume I need some lip/cover to prevent backflow
or critters from getting into it.

But since my 4" lines are all currently directing to a soffit vent, if
I cut a 4" hole, I need to cut it along the current path and then cut
it short to install the elbow. *I wonder if I realistically can cut
and install a 4" sheet metal pipe and put in a 4" elbow from outside a
4" hole...seems it would be tricky. *I don't think there would be a
problem were it sheetrock but it's T-111 ply.

This seems to be the only possible solution I can think of now that
does not involve a very expensive and intrusive remedy. *Any other
thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Your plan seems doable (excuse buzzword). Using a 4 1/4" hole saw on
the soffit would leave wiggle room enough for a length of pipe with
attached elbow to be threaded into the attic space. Pop rivets
attaching the elbow would be tidier and make installation easier. HTH

Joe