Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill McKenzie Bill McKenzie is offline

Default Help wiring light/fan/heater

On Jun 3, 10:20*am, bud-- wrote:
N8N wrote:
12/2. You'll run three hots and two neutrals, plus grounds.

I'm curious if he really has 10/2; wouldn't that be unusual for a
bathroom which I would assume would be a 20A dedicated branch circuit
(hopefully GFCI protected?)

10/2 does sound odd.

Also, I *thought* but may be mistaken - someone correct me if I am -
that current code prohibited using two different size wires on a given
branch circuit, even if the smaller size used was appropriate for the
overcurrent protection device.

You can use any size wire as long as the overcurrent protection is for
the smallest branch circuit wire.

Mixing may or may not be a good idea. It can cause confusion. But on a
20A circuit you might run #10 to a garage for voltage drop and #12
within the garage.

--
bud--

One more thing. How can it be both dedicated and GFCI protected? Is
there a standalone interrupt/reset somewhere? There is a GFCI-
protected plug in the bathroom, but I'm assuming its a different
circuit. And I guess current code may not be relevant, since this was
all done in the 70s.