Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Desoldering wattage and tip size for tight multilayer vias

In article , wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 14:11:32 -0500, msg wrote:

This Saturday I replaced seven popped Nichicon electrolytics
in my iMac G5; it took me nearly five hours of intense battling
with too-tight hole sizes and high-thermal conductivity planes
but the job got done and the fix worked. Has anyone worked
on this planar and can comment? What wattage and tip sizes
worked for you? I used a 65 watt iron and ground the tip into
various chisels and angled points, used excess solder and flux
and tried an amount of preheating but it really was a _bitch_
to do. I kinda doubt the board was made for repairing.

Michael

I wouldn't even attempt to do this without a temperature controlled
soldering station. You need a lot of power, but with no temperature
control, you're likely to over heat the board and lift traces. It's
also critical to have a clean properly tinned tip.
Andy Cuffe

Having a Weller miniature iron with 80 watts is sure nice. Sometimes I combine heats from
the 3 outputs. Desolder, solderer, and hot air. I have used 2 irons before.
For the rough things sometimes I also use a Bic lighter against the iron for a afterburner effect.
The RS 250 watt gun, then the torch.

I got so tired of watching the game last night, I got to the point I just wanted anybody to win so it was all
over....

greg

Lets go Pens