Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Let me belabor the 12 gauge - 14 guage discussion

On Jun 3, 1:39*am, wrote:
Hi,

I recently asked whether it's OK an a 20amp dedicated circuit intended
for a heater/fan/n.light/light combination to run 14 gauge wire from
the switch to the fixture, except for the heater part. And of course,
the answer was "no" because you are not suppose to use 14 guage wire
on a 20 amp circuit.

But the wire in the fixture is 14 gauge! (Except for the heater part.
There are three 14 gauge and one 12 gauge pairs inside the fixture.)
How is that not breaking the code on the part of the manufacturer?

Thanks,

Aaron

If you want twisted logic, I'd bet it has more to do with distance.
The greater the load AND the longer the distance, the bigger wire you
need. The larger wire is needed on the feed to carry enough current
to the heater. If you ran the #14 the entire distance, it would be
undersized, considering the distance.