Posted to alt.home.repair
dicko dicko is offline

Default Squirrel (?) Defeats Hav-a-Heart

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:30:10 -0400, Phisherman
wrote:

I discovered that squirrels would reach into the Hav-A-Hart from the
side and get the bait without entering the trap. I wired a small
piece of hardware cloth on both sides of the trap. I was catching 2
or 3 squirrels a day.

You could also take a standard mouse trap and fasten it inside the
trap and then wire the snapbar to the trigger of the havahart so that
when the mouse trap is tripped, it pulls on the havahart trigger with
much more force than a crafty squirrel. Sort of like giving a power
boost to the havahart. Then put all the bait onthe mousetrap. The
mousetrap, being more sensitive than the havahart, should trigger when
the squirrel even sneezes on it.

-dickm