Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default museing???? (long reply))

I was listening to some one talking about business and art at one of
the shows I go to, and their comment was that atrists have a studio,
and crafters have a shop. Some consider my work to be art (if it don't
hold soup, then it is art... Anthony Yak). If you come to where I
work, there is no doubt that it is a shop, not a studio. I still
consider some of the stuff I do as art. Studio is just too snooty for
me. If you master your craft, then you are an artist. I am a grade or
two below master, but getting better all the time. But then again, the
old topic of is it craft, or is it art. I don't really care, as long
as people like and buy it, and I can continue to make the shavings
fly.
robo hippy

On Jun 3, 7:55*am, (Arch) wrote:
Hi Bruce, *Thanks for the kind encouragement; Others might blame you for
it. * Now to answer your query with some serious research I've done
for RCW.

98.6 % of woodturner's cannot garage their cars. *'Journal of
irreproducible results.' *Vol xx, pg 21

'Home is where the lathe is'. *'Annals of doggerel' *Vol xx, pg 21

A woodturner's garage becomes a shop the day he buys his house.
'Homeless car support group' * personal communication

The workroom doesn't change from shop to studio, the woodturner changes
from craftsman to artist. *'Musings from Chairman Arch' *RCW, Sept 31,
'96, 0300 hrs.

A shop becomes a studio when more videos than bowls are made there.
(clergy excepted) *Local turning club newsletter vol. 100. no. 001
'review of the semi-annual film & ego festival.

A neat and tidy shop is a sign of a woodturner with an alpha spouse.
'faded sign on a barn roof' *abandoned farm on county road, just off US
I 20.

On the Baja there are no maisons with attached ateliers, but there is
one very nice hacienda with a resident Mac and an attached nuevo taller
de arte. *'Mexican Real Estate News', ironwood section *Vol. 6 no. 6
pg. 6

And finally; Never trust a woodturner who would trade an iron lathe for
iron wood and it's iffy to trust a woodturner who contracts cabinets,
but uses Texas exotics to barbecue. Especially if they post to rcw!
'Archives of wasted bandwidth' *Vol ? no. ??. pg ???.

I have no hope that this helps, Bruce. *

Turn to Safety, *Arch * * * * * * * * * * * *