Posted to rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default RAS Too Tight

Thank you all. I appreciate all teh tips and liked that sock idea! My
column is relatively clean - saved where it was exposed (I had it
cranked way down for shipping, but it left two inches or so "exposed")
abnd that area shows some corrosion. Nothing steel wool & elbow grease
won't cure.

I had already soaked the column in penetrating oil and let it sit,
soaked again (after raising and lowering) and soaked it again. I was
getting ready to dismantle the thing and doo some serious cleansing
but thought to ask first lest I get myself in deeper than I should for
less benefit than hoped for. I learned my lessons years ago, before
you start a new venture, seek expert advice - on an old Toyota, the
sequence of removing the old calipers/brake pads can mean the
difference between a hour per side and 10 minutes or so - learned
after spending an hour on the driver's side and - after friend and pro
mechanic Roscoe tipped me off - tem inutes doing the other side.

Thanks again.