Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod[_2_] LRod[_2_] is offline

Default RAS Too Tight

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 11:27:03 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 08:12:13 -0700 (PDT), Hoosierpopi
wrote:

I have pulled the old Craftsman out of hiding and building it a new
table.

As part of the process, I tried elevating the blade with the existing
crank and found it most difficult to take it through the range. I am
thinking of adding a longer/larger handle to increase my leverage. ut
thought to ask here if anyone had any suggestions based upon personal
experience with this issue and might offer a serious resolution
thereto.

I wouldn't try a longer, "cheater bar" handle. That just, ahem,
elevates the risk of overtorquing some invisible, yet vital part. I've
squirted penetrating oil (or, quelle horror, WD-40) around the
junction between the column and the column insert (or column and
column sleeve, depending on how you look at it) and letting it sit for
a while. Then try running it up and down. You might need a few
applications, depending on how long and under what conditions it's
been sitting around.

Every 10 years or so, I find I have to clean out sawdust that builds up in
crevices of the column. It can pack in quite tight and prevent movement in
the extreme positions.

I wonder if you have a two piece column sleeve. Mine is a single cast
iron piece. They changed that in the mid '70s (mine is a 1972).

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.