Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Footlocker Design

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 21:16:13 -0400, Andrew Erickson
wrote:

Very very nice looking, Tom. I daresay that goes beyond the footlocker
level and goes into blanket chest territory...or whatever the next stage
or two of box would be called.

Do you have some sort of a stay for the top, to prevent it from
unfolding too far and (in time) pulling the hinges out? Seems like
something that would be desirable. I also assume you're planning on
putting the other fifteen hinge screws in sometime.

Andrew:

Thanks for the kind words.

I was going to use some leftover Ives casement hardware to keep the
top from opening more than about 110 but they now seem too heavy and
balky, so I'll use a lighter weight lid support that I have laying
about.

The hardware is just pinned in place so that I oculd look at it for
awhile before fastening it for real. I want to use round headed bolts
instead of screws, and then file the slots off.

I also think that the brass corners are out of scale, they were
originally intended for a much bigger box, and I'm thinking about
cutting an inch off of each leg.

Regards,

Tom

Thos.J.Watson - Cabinetmaker