Default Kitchen cabents using Mills Pride boxes and custom made doors / drawer fronts

Good approach. I have used MP cabinets for 3-5 FL oceanfront condo remods
in the last 3 yrs. I buy, fix up and resell these condos at prices up to
$510K. All of the kitchens have been with MP. The key to the approach is
to have a good design. After that, the buyer doesn't care what the boxes
are built out of. I have made over $500K in the last 3 yrs with this
approach. The Depot folks don't like it when you do it this way since they
want to sell their other cabinet lines.

MP is stronger than their American Woodmark line and has more useable inside
space. If you can get by without the dovetailed drawers then your approach
works. Then load the boxes with pull out trash cans, lazy susans, pantry
inserts from Hafele or Feeny for the true custom look. This stuff will cost
more than the boxes and doors but will make your project look better than a
custom cabinet maker. These are the same internals they use. Don't use
Rev-a-shelf plastic stuff. Then your rehab will look cheap.

You are on the right track with your question. Remember the kitchen design
is the key...Purists and cabinet shops will bad mouth your idea but in the
end you will laugh all the way to the bank.

One of my other rehab buddies did the same thing with MP boxes and WoodMode
custom doors he bought in a closeout. You have to be creative with the MP
product line sometimes (use dishwasher panels for custom sizes or cut down
larger versions. Also buy a euro hinge jig which will allow you to match
both cup holes to the MP sides. Only $40-50 from Woodworker Supply plus the
35mm bit.

Right now I am redoing my home kitchen using the MP maple boxes and having
custom doors made (walnut rails and stiles and raised maple panel) from one
of the internet door makers. Cost savings will be huge. I built my own
doors as a test and found the glue up time/effort to be non productive. BTW
I am also custom sizing the 42" wall cabinets to 39 for ceiling and moulding
clearance issues. Just use a biscuit joiner to join the mystery wood.

Another benefit is you can do the remodel without attracting much attention.
The boxes can be wheeled in and stored in a small amount of space without
curious neighbors and inspectors showing up to check on work.

Stick with your approach. It works.