Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Let me belabor the 12 gauge - 14 guage discussion

"Calab" wrote in message

wrote in message
Yes, but I was proposing is connecting the switch to the fixture (a 4'
run!) with 14 gauge wire. That would essentially make it an extension
of the fixture's own 14 guage. Why is that not legitimate. If the
answer is that "the code tries to be overprotective", I'll accept
that. But I want to make sense out of it.

Because the fixture will be at a junction box... Wiring could get added
from this box to a new circuit.

The wiring in the fixture probably wasn't even #14, as the fixture
manufacturers use wires sizes only large enough for the loads on them, and
don't have a minimum trade size of #14. They are also governed by a
different code than the building wiring