Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
max max is offline

Default Range clock - Disconnect it!

In article ,
max wrote:

In article , wrote:

I doubt the LED clock on my stove uses as much energy
in 1 year as one burner uses to boil a pot of water in 5 minutes.

how much water? call it about a gallon. This is an very large amount
of water, since when most of us want to boil water in 5 minutes we're
talking about coffee/tea water. But hey, it's an easy number.

It takes about 1200 BTU to boil a gallon of water

BTU suck, so the conversion to watts is
1 BTU = 0.3 watt-hours

ergo 1200BTU *.3watt-hrs/btu = 360 watt-hours.

now...let's do the math...

365days x 24 hrs/day 8760 = hours/year

If your LED clock uses 1 watt/hour then it consumes 8760
watt-hours/year. If your stove clock is LED, 1 watt is __very__
conservative and generous to your case.

8760 360

THEREFO
It takes at least 24 times as much energy to run your 1 watt LED clock
as to boil a gallon of water.

surprised? Time is a funny thing...

i got interrupted and forgot what i was doing. dammit.

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.