Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Range clock - Disconnect it!

Jeff wrote
SteveB wrote
Jeff wrote
SteveB wrote

I think if we all disconnected all the lights we have that run
24/7 and all these little clocks that we could make as much
difference as AlGore does with his global warming theories. If anyone is concerned about how much electricity
their clock uses, contact me, and I will send you a quarter for a year's usage. Hmm, I see you've snipped all
context to make your point.

The real point is that phantom power loss is not negligible and
accounts for 5% to 10% worldwide. Higher in more developed
economies. Many appliance use more power "off" than on (collectively).

Now, you will probably object to any regulation that would level
the playing field and require all manufacturers to reduce phantom
drain. And that's a real shame as the technology already exists and the return on investment is quick.

You can't consume your way out of every problem. You certainly
would rather do nothing about global warming. It's funny how some
people can deny the human component of global warming and yet have no problem with the rationale of going to war in
Iraq.

Also note that I've never advocated removing the clock from the range.

Yeah. We need more laws.

Regulation is not a bad thing.

Depends entirely on how its done.

It's very hard for a company to do something for the long term good
when doing that puts it at a short term competitive disadvantage.

You havent established that it does with that last.

That's why regulations that are evenly applied to all competitors work.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.

And why voluntary targets don't.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.

We've had 7 years of corporate free reign under George W Bush.

Lie.

Few would think the results are impressive.

Most arent qualfied to have an opinion on that particular question.

Fewer still would believe that we have made progress toward solving the problems that loom.

Irrelevant to what is feasible with regulation.